Important Information Regarding Newcourse Communications’ Data Breach

You may have received a letter from our mailing services vendor, Newcourse Communications (“Newcourse”), in October 2022 regarding a security incident that occurred within Newcourse’s network. This security incident involved the removal from Newcourse’s network of your full name, address, Social Security Number, VMLS loan number, and all other information contained on the 2021 1098 tax form relating to your VMLS loan.

Newcourse Communication was not provided any banking information for VMLS customers, therefore that information was not exposed as part of this security incident.

If you received a letter from Newcourse Communications regarding the breach, we strongly encourage you to consider using the complimentary services being offered. The deadline to enroll is January 12, 2023. Please follow the instructions included with the Newcourse letter regarding how to:

  • Enroll in Complimentary 12-Month Credit Monitoring
  • Place a Fraud Alert on Your Credit File
  • Place a Security Freeze on Your Credit File
  • Obtain a Free Credit Report

For assistance with these services or questions regarding the security incident, please call the Newcourse Communication response team at (833) 764-2915. The response line is available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Eastern Time Zone.

Under federal law, you are entitled to one free credit report every 12 months from each of the three major nationwide credit reporting companies. Call 1-877-322-8228 or request your free credit reports online at Once you receive your credit reports, review them for discrepancies. Identify any accounts you did not open or inquiries from creditors that you did not authorize. Verify all information is correct. If you have questions or notice incorrect information, contact the credit reporting company.

Even if you do not find any suspicious activity on your credit reports, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recommends that you check your credit reports periodically. Checking your credit reports periodically can help you spot problems and address them quickly. If you find suspicious activity on your credit reports or have reason to believe your information is being misused, call your local law enforcement agency and file a police report. Be sure to obtain a copy of the police report, as creditors may request this information when reviewing any potentially fraudulent debts. You may also file a complaint with the FTC by contacting them on the web at, by phone at 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338), or by mail at Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Response Center, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580. Your complaint will be added to the FTC’s Identity Theft Data Clearinghouse, where it will be accessible to law enforcement for their investigations. In addition, you may obtain additional information from the FTC about fraud alerts and security freezes.